org-agenda queries for absent properties

From: Jens Schmidt
Subject: org-agenda queries for absent properties
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:13:38 +0200

The following was initially meant as bug report until I understood that
it's actually some sort of feature ...

Consider the following todo list:

-------------------- todos.org --------------------
* TODO relax

* TODO do this
:PROPERTIES:
:patchday: 202302
:END:

* TODO do that
:PROPERTIES:
:patchday: 202305
:END:

* TODO work harder
:PROPERTIES:
:patchday: 202308
:END:
-------------------- todos.org --------------------

When I use an agenda query

  patchday>=202305

on that I get the result:

  Headlines with TAGS match: patchday>=202305
  Press ‘C-u r’ to search again
    todos:      TODO do that
    todos:      TODO work harder

However for the following:

  patchday<=202305

I get

  Headlines with TAGS match: patchday<=202305
  Press ‘C-u r’ to search again
    todos:      TODO relax
    todos:      TODO do this
    todos:      TODO do that

since the absent property "patchday" on the "relax" todo entry is
defaulted to value zero, obviously.

So I would like to have something easier to type (and remember! why not
"!=" or "/="?) then

  patchday<>0&patchday<=202305

How about starred agenda property operators that match only if the
operand property is actually present, which would result in this query:

  patchday<=*202305

Section <info:org#Matching tags and properties> does not seem to provide
any information on "definedness" expressions for properties.

Thanks.