Re: New Orgmode LaTex Document Class ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: New Orgmode LaTex Document Class ?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 23:28:32 -0700

>> Seems good, but maybe https://ctan.org is the true starting place.  They
>> can search for "latex" or look in the "Cover" dropdown for some ideas.
>> I just found https://tug.org/begin.html there for getting started with
>> TeX/LaTeX (which might also be good to mention).
>
> I am not sure. I cannot easily see beginner resources on CTAN and that
> linked latex-doc-ptr.pdf does mention CTAN, alongside other useful
> resources like stackexchange, learnlatex.org, and various beginner
> tutorials.

Okay, I agree.

>>> Looks reasonable.
>>> We may also link to "texdoc latex" command (the same file, but
>>> locally).
>>
>> Didn't know about 'texdpc', but that brought up details about the
>> Luaotfload package for me.  Was that what you intended?
>
> Running texdoc latex in shell will open the same pdf file as in
> http://mirrors.ctan.org/info/latex-doc-ptr/latex-doc-ptr.pdf

Hmm.  For me 'texdoc -l latex' in a shell showed me this:

 1 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-latex.pdf
 2 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc/support/light-latex-make/llmk.pdf
 3 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc/support/latex-papersize/README
   = Readme
 4 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc/support/latex-git-log/README.md
 5 /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc/support/light-latex-make/README.md.gz
 6
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/doc/support/hook-pre-commit-pkg/pre-commit-latex.gz

Searching around my system, I don't find the file, but all latex
packages seem to be installed.  Maybe it's not in Debian Bullseye?

If this is a general problem, then new users would have to figure out
what wasn't installed (Chromebook starts with a pretty barebones
Debian).  Perhaps a URL is better to avoid installation issues?

--
David Masterson