Re: [patch] ox-latex.el: fix blank lines behavior in verse block

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [patch] ox-latex.el: fix blank lines behavior in verse block
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 17:23:36 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

>> Rationale for this patch: the treatment of blank lines in
>> `org-latex-verse-block' is inconsistent with the syntax of the `verse'
>> environment, both the one that includes LaTeX and the one provided by
>> the `verse' package as a replacement for the former.
>> So, after this patch:
>>
>> • Any blank line before and/or after the content is removed;
>>
>> • One or more blank lines between stanzas are exported as a single blank
>>   line, leaving the previous final verse without the linebreak mark
>>   `\\';
>>
>> • When verse numbering is enabled via the `:lines' attribute (for the
>>   `verse' package), the last verses of each stanza are marked with
>>   `\\!', according to the verse package syntax (this was not necessary
>>   with the previous behavior).
>
> I see nothing that would prevent merging this patch.
> However, I believe that removing blank lines before/after content is
> something we may want to do in other built-in backends as well. WDYT?

I think you're right. My impression is that the blank lines before/after
content is not a desired feature, but rather a consequence of
substituting line breaks to create the space between stanzas. I think
the space before/after is better removed because it doesn't make sense
and adds unnecessary direct formatting[1]. Maybe it could be changed to
`(org-trim contents t) in all cases, like in this patch?

[1] However, the horizontal 'verbatim' space that can be added before
each line/verse seems like a great feature to me, since verses can also
be indented arbitrarily. This block it's a gem, and it has some really
cool features, not just to quote poetry.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel