Re: [patch] Fix inner smart quotes in French

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [patch] Fix inner smart quotes in French
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 21:10:40 +0700

On 04/08/2023 18:09, Bastien wrote:
Juan Manuel Macías writes:

In the meantime, I'm submitting this patch with a fix for second-level
French `smart quotes': the correct quotes should be “” (without spaces,
as in Spanish or Greek) (please, some francophone correct me, if I'm
wrong...).

Applied, thanks!

I am not a francophone, I just have tried to look into sources I found during discussion on Greek quotes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#French
says that there are different styles of inner quotes.

I am more worry that Unicode CLDR defines the same character for quotes. However inner quotes varies across languages:

fr.xml:         <quotationStart>«</quotationStart>
fr.xml:         <quotationEnd>»</quotationEnd>
fr.xml:         <alternateQuotationStart>«</alternateQuotationStart>
fr.xml:         <alternateQuotationEnd>»</alternateQuotationEnd>

fr_CA.xml:      <alternateQuotationStart>”</alternateQuotationStart>
fr_CA.xml:      <alternateQuotationEnd>“</alternateQuotationEnd>
fr_CH.xml:      <alternateQuotationStart>‹</alternateQuotationStart>
fr_CH.xml:      <alternateQuotationEnd>›</alternateQuotationEnd>

I would prefer to keep consistency with CLDR.