Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 14:29:23 +0530

[ஞாயிறு மார்ச் 12, 2023] Timothy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> After months of work, Karthink and I have prepared a rather large patch-set
> completely overhauling the LaTeX preview system. I hope to have a patch set
> shortly, but in the mean time it would be good to get some more people testing
> this.
>
> To test this feature, please check out the `dev' branch of
> <https://git.tecosaur.net/tec/org-mode.git> (it’s the default branch). There
> are
> also some other changes there currently, but I don’t think anything is broken.

I tested commit '6eb77305361a1f6a3f67c3229f837f1c4e95f546' of the dev
branch.

It worked well all around except for three things:

    1. I had to set org-latex-preview-precompile to nil to produce the
       preview for ~2000 snippets.  I got errors in process filters such
       as arg-out-of-range, and Emacs completely blocked itself.  I can
       confirm that mylatexformat is installed

       % dpkg-query -S mylatexformat
       texlive-latex-extra:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mylatexformat
       texlive-latex-extra:
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mylatexformat/mylatexformat.ltx

    2. Apparently, org-latex-default-packages-alist no longer contain
       asmsymb and asmmath?  This change pulled the rug under me since
       it took me quite a while to figure out why some of my formulas
       were coloured red...

    3. The image sizes of the same latex environment (e.g., \[ \]) is
       different for different formulas.  I can send a screenshot of
       this if required.

Except for these hiccups, it works without a hitch.  Thank you very much
for your work!

> If you do come across any issues, please let me know either in a reply here or
> the org-mode matrix room. If you could also run
> <https://gist.github.com/karthink/0ac48411a81459c0f3fd7557c4e817db> and share
> the
> diagnostic info, that would be quite helpful.

If needed, I can do this after reproducing (1).

BTW, would it possible to arrange other latex environments (\ch{} in my
case) to be previewed as well?  Currently, I do \(\ch{}\) but omitting
\( \) would be nice.