Re: [BUG] "make check" reports a failure on test-org/insert-heading @ d5

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] "make check" reports a failure on test-org/insert-heading @ d5ee33f (this time with Emacs 29)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:56:13 +0000

Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de> writes:

>> There is no universal rule when and when not to add trailing spaces in
>> the tests.
>
> Not sure what you mean by that, but some tests rely on trailing spaces
> and fail when these are not present.  An explicit test on that would
> make the issue more visible.  See below for what I mean.  The only (?)
> downside is that this catches such errors in test-org.el only, and not
> in all the other tests, many of which also contain (on purpose or
> inadvertently) trailing whitespace:

That's what I mean. For some tests, we do want trailing whitespace. For
some - not. Imagine that we decide to change the test failing due to
whitespace cleanup, but leave your proposed test. Then, your test may be
failing, and it will be rather difficult to figure out why.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,