Re: [RFC] Quoting property names in tag/property matches [Was: [BUG?] Ma

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] Quoting property names in tag/property matches [Was: [BUG?] Matching tags: & operator no more implicit between tags and special property]
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 07:43:25 +0000

Samuel Loury <konubinix@gmail.com> writes:

> IMHO, "-tag&-todo=TODO" is totally ok. I even imagine we could say that
> & and | are forbidden to say anything else than AND and OR and people
> would be ok with that.

Actually, explicit & or | might be an easier way to not worry about
escaping things. Except escaping & or | themselves.
It might be the preferred way to put into the manual.

> IOW, I wonder of the time and effort to deal with optional & is worth
> it. WDYT?

We cannot remove the optionality of &, because doing so will break
existing user setups. But we can certainly change our recommendations in
the manual.

Though pure tag matcher makes more sense with implicit &:
 +tag1-tag2+tag3... vs +tag1&-tag2&+tag3
Especially in the interactive agenda filters.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,