Re: [RFC] Quoting property names in tag/property matches [Was: [BUG?] Ma

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] Quoting property names in tag/property matches [Was: [BUG?] Matching tags: & operator no more implicit between tags and special property]
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2023 07:10:12 +0000

Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de> writes:

> TL;DR:
>
> - I think we cannot make "&" mandatory because of backward compatibility.

Sorry for the confusion. I did not mean that "&" should be mandatory,
just that "&" might make it easier to avoid a need to escape things. So,
it could be used _instead_ of escaping.

> - Even if we made "&" mandatory, it would not really solve the quoting
>   problem, since the parser is rather hacky and other quoting and
>   context issues would still be there.

But at this point you are more familiar with that parser than I am, so
my idea does not seem to be viable.

> This all calls for a proper parser, based on peg or bovine or whatever.
> Hopefully that parser would still keep backward compatibility, but
> that's probably wishful thinking.

Backward compatibility will be easy - just leave the current code when
old query version is detected. We should better focus on the new syntax
in future and leave the current syntax as compatibility layer that will
be eventually deprecated.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,