Re: Help me contribute to org

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Help me contribute to org
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 07:54:41 +0000

emacs@supporter.mailer.me writes:

> I would like to contribute to org-mode but I have no experience with git. I
> would like to start with something small - adding translations for my
> language.
>
> Could somebody please guide?

The easiest way would be:

1. Download Org mode source code from command line:

   git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

   This will create "org-mode" folder in the place you run the above
   command.

2. Open one of the Org files in the downloaded folder.
   For example org-mode/lisp/ox.el has `org-export-dictionary' variable
   - you can search for the variable in the file simply using isearch:
     C-s org-export-dictionary

3. Edit the file as needed, adding translations. You simply can follow
   by example when adding new translations.

4. M-x vc-diff <RET>
   This will open a buffer with you edits converted into "diff".

5. C-x C-w in the diff buffer and save it to a file like
   "my-edits.diff".

6. Drop an email to this mailing list, explaining what you did and
   attaching the "diff" file.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,