Re: Preventing inadvertent global modifications

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Preventing inadvertent global modifications
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:56:46 +0000

>> You can set `org-auto-align-tags' to nil.
>
> I saw it, but from its description I decided that its effect may be to
> broad. I have tried it and to my surprise it does not affect editing of
> heading, tags are kept aligned. M-<right> and M-<left> do not realign
> tags, so the value is not ignored.

We might indeed want to respect org-auto-align-tags everywhere.

> C-u C-c C-q still realigns all tags in the buffer, so this option would
> not save me from getting huge diff.

C-u C-c C-q is explicitly documented to do so. Surely, you may press
universal argument by accident, but so you do for, say, C-u C-u C-k,
deleting 16 lines at once. I am not sure if makes much sense to
intervene here.

> I suspect there are enough commands having similar global (and so mostly
> hidden) effect. I may be unaware of them because I do not feel that I
> need such commands.

No other commands call (org-align-tags t).

> I admit that some fraction of users keep their files tidy calling C-u
> C-c C-q regularly. Perhaps at certain moment I will decide no align
> tags, but it should be a dedicated commit not mixed with other changes.
> My opinion that, by default, commands performing massive changes should
> require reasonable efforts to execute. It should help to avoid calling
> them unintentionally. Perhaps there is a better approach than annoying
> `yes-or-no-p'.

I am reluctant (see the above), unless other users also think that such
feature would be useful.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,