Re: Strategic time planing: Breaking down EFFORT property

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Strategic time planing: Breaking down EFFORT property
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 06:59:05 +0200

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@ntnu.no> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>> For weekly/monthly/total, you can use clock tables to summarize the time
>> spend on different projects during the week/month/in total. See
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/The-clock-table.html
>>
>> You can display additional property values in the clock table using
>> :properties attribute. That will allow seeing clocked time and your
>> estimates stored in EFFORT_* properties.
>
> I think this is what I'm looking for. I considered clock tables to be
> only for reviews, not planning. But I'm just playing with the feature
> and seem to be able to do what I want.

Can you share your setup once it is working as you want it?

What you are doing is much more complex (and useful) than what I used
EFFORT for and I would like to check whether I can adapt part of it.

I usually plan with a gantt chart in a plantuml code block:

#+begin_src plantuml :file THE-TITLE-gantt.png
@startgantt
title THE TITLE
saturday are closed
sunday are closed
2023-08-02 is closed
ganttDiagram {
  task {
    BackGroundColor GreenYellow
    LineColor Green
    unstarted {
      BackGroundColor Fuchsia
      LineColor FireBrick
    }
  }
}

' see https://plantuml.com/gantt-diagram
Project starts at 2023-09-18
[init] on {Arne:74%} lasts 2 days
[logging] on {Arne:74%} lasts 1 day
[config] on {Bera:80%} lasts 2 days
[scheduling] on {Arne:74%} lasts 1 day
[documentation] on {Arne:74%} lasts 1 day

[logging] starts at [init]'s end
[config] starts at [init]'s end
[scheduling] starts at [logging]'s end
[documentation] starts at [scheduling]'s end

@endgantt
#+end_src

This doesn’t have the nice org-mode integration, though.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein