Re: Completion of links to man pages

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Completion of links to man pages
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:16:41 +0700

On 06/10/2023 00:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
 From where I stand, we have already a stable API tested by years of
use.  What is maybe missing is some documentation to allow its easier
use, that's all.

In some cases it is no API but just an interactive command. Sometimes it can be used from other code, sometimes it requires to copy-paste enough implementation details to achieve a similar effect.

While man.el requires "just" resetting cache and disabling case sensitivity, woman.el needs to initialize cache before invoking a completion function. When woman.el is considered in isolation, it is not an issue that `woman-file-name' is not decomposed into smaller functions since there is no need to reuse parts of its code. However it becomes an obstacle when another package tries to interact with woman.

Side note: I am afraid of behavior divergence for `man' and `org-insert-link' in future, but I have not figured out what API I would expect.