Re: Inconsistent text markup handling when double-nesting markers

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Inconsistent text markup handling when double-nesting markers
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:23:09 +0700

On 11/10/2023 19:26, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

P.S. Juan Manuel at certain moment discovered that pandoc allows nesting
for *b1 *b2* b3*.

Which is a bug in pandoc.

I think we discussed this topic a number of times in the past - our
markup is a compromise between simplicity for users and simplicity of
the parser. This works in many simple cases, but edge cases become
problematic.

I have no intention to raise discussions of changing patterns to recognize beginning and end of objects or extending of syntax.

My guess is that pandoc may use bottom-up, not top-down approach. I admit, my opinion may be biased by reading complains concerning unexpected behavior of current implementation. Perhaps besides advantages pandoc parser has downsides. I would not be surprised if bottom up parser is unbearable without some tool that generates code for provided rules.

By the way, is it explicitly specified that within an element namely top-down strategy must be used to recognize objects?