Re: Keyword becoming a paragraph based on optval

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Keyword becoming a paragraph based on optval
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:18:11 +0000

"Tom Alexander" <tom@fizz.buzz> writes:

> Emacs version: 29.1
> Org-mode version: f3de4c3e041e0ea825b5b512dc0db37c78b7909e (latest in git)
>
> This test document parses as a keyword:
> ```
> #+CAPTION[*foo*]: baz
> ```
>
> but this test document parses as a paragraph:
> ```
> #+CAPTION[*foo* bar]: baz
> ```

Expected. In the first case,
KEY = CAPTION[*foo*]
and VALUE = baz

In the second case, keyword does not match, because KEY cannot have
spaces.

https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html#Keywords

Note that _affiliated keyword_ has an optional form of

#+KEY[OPTVAL]: VALUE

where OPTVAL can have spaces.

But isolated #+CAPTION cannot be an affiliated keyword, which is why you
see what you see.

Whether we should allow OPTVAL in ordinary keywords has been discussed ,
and we might do it to simplify things at some point. But the rules are
like the above for now.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,