Re: [BUG] org-contrib: org-eldoc has an autload, but is incompatible wit

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-contrib: org-eldoc has an autload, but is incompatible with modern emacs. [9.6.8 (release_9.6.8-3-g21171d @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 07:37:00 +0000

Vladimir Nikishkin <lockywolf@gmail.com> writes:

> org-contrib has the following lines 206 and 207 in org-eldoc:
> #+begin_src elisp
> ;;;###autoload
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook #'org-eldoc-load)
> #+end_src
>
> which set up that hook automatically when the package org-contrib is
> installed.
>
> that hook is, seemingly, incompatible with the recent org-element,

May you elaborate about incompatibility?

> ... and in general it seems dubious to automatically add features from a
> deprecated repo.

This repo not deprecated, but rather not much maintained.

> Could those lines be removed? If someone is interested in
> patching/using/maintaining that code, he can probably try to refactor it
> in a better way.
>
> (In any case, it is probably better to add such hooks in the :hook
> clause of use-package.)

That would constitute incompatible change for the existing users.
Although, autoload may cause org-eldoc to be loaded for users of
org-contrib, who are not interested in org-eldoc.
What we might do as a compromise is removing the autoload cookie only
and leaving the (add-hook ...) to be executed upon (require 'org-eldoc).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,