Re: Slowdown with large headings in view

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Slowdown with large headings in view
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:50:48 +0000

Sebastian Wålinder <s.walinder@gmail.com> writes:

> I have massive org-mode file with thousands of SRC blocks.
>
> As the file grew, I started to get very poor performance, but setting
> `org-fold-core--ignore-modifications` to `t` solved it.
>
> However, I still get very poor performance when a lot of folded headings are
> in view. It gets slower as headings with more text hidden inside its fold
> come into view.
>
> I have tried running the profiler to find out what the issue is, but no
> matter how laggy Emacs gets, the profiler records practically no CPU samples
> or memory usage.
>
> When the massive org buffer is in view and showing large folded headlines,
> any command run is very slow, even if the action is performed in another
> buffer entirely. It returns to normal when no window is showing the headings,
> as well as when I bring the folded headings out of view or unfold them.

This is expected. The problem is with Emacs redisplay engine that cannot
easily handle large number of text properties - on C level.

You can try to set `org-fold-core--optimise-for-huge-buffers' to
'(grab-invisible) locally in the problematic Org file - it should reduce
the number of text properties used at the cost of not preserving folded
drawers when folding the containing heading.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,