org-agenda and org-agenda-columns, display time text property

From: Richard Sent
Subject: org-agenda and org-agenda-columns, display time text property
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:50:05 -0500

Hi org mode!

Quick disclaimer, this may already exist and I missed it in my research. If it does, please reinterpret this as a plea for help as opposed to a feature request! :)

It would be nice if there was a way to display the time text property while using org-columns in the agenda by modifying org-local-columns-format (or similar variables). Something like

;; in appropriate hook or similar
(setq org-local-columns-format "%AGENDA_TIME %ITEM ..."

The next-best option, %TIMESTAMP, will display the raw timestamp for the agenda item, but this isn't ideal.

a) it's overly wordy compared to the time text property e.g. [2023-11-18 Sat 11:30] vs. "11:30 ┄┄┄┄┄ " b) repeating timestamps are displayed as [2023-11-11 Sat 14:30 +2d], meaning you can't tell what time a particular entry is scheduled.

org-columns does add some unique advantages to org-agenda. For example, I like to add a LOCATION property to my entries and use %LOCATION to display the location in the agenda. It's a shame that there's a tradeoff when doing this.

I have found an implementation that accomplishes this at https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/59940 and discussion at https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-08/msg00090.html, but this seems to focus on a different problem related to org-agenda-columns-add-appointments-to-effort-sum. It does not look like the implementation discussed ever made its way in.

Thanks!
Richard