Re: Citations and basic processor: examples of some things that don't wo

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: Citations and basic processor: examples of some things that don't work
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 16:17:04 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for digging into this, Ihor. It exports now, but I'm afraid it's doing too much capitaliztion.

A name like "van Dongen" should become "Van Dongen" when cited with a caps variant, for example [cite/a/c:@friends]. This is turning it into "VAN DONGEN", upcasing the whole string when it should just be doing the first letter.

I looked into how the CSL versions handles it. In citeproc-el's citeproc-site.el there's this: "CAPITALIZE-FIRST is non-nil if the first word of the rendered citation should be capitalized." That goes with this in oc-csl.el in the definition of org-cite-csl--create-structure-params for doing a /a/c author-caps citation:

   ((or "caps" "c") '(:mode author-only :capitalize-first t))

So for the basic exporter to do what the CSL one does, it should just capitalize the first letter. I hope you don't mind opening up that file one last time for this fix ...

Thanks,

Bill

--
William Denton