How can I use org-add-note with emacsclient?

From: equal . moon0346
Subject: How can I use org-add-note with emacsclient?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 03:50:29 +0000

Hello Org mode users,

I'm trying to figure out how to start a note (C-c C-z) on the currently clocked
task from emacsclient. Here's what I have so far:

Start Emacs:

emacs --fg-daemon=test -Q -nw --eval "(setq-default org-agenda-files
'(\"~/org-agenda-files\"))"

Connect to the daemon in a different terminal, load the agenda:

emacsclient -s test -nw --eval '(org-agenda nil "a")'

^ In this frame I'll also clock in to some heading with I in the agenda. Then I
close the terminal.

In another terminal, try to start a new note on the currently clocked task:

emacsclient -s test -nw --eval '(progn (org-clock-goto) (org-add-note))'

This seems to have no effect. Oddly, if I paste this into M-:, it works fine.
I've tried a number of things with e.g. plain capture templates that run the
above code :after-finalize, using call-interactively, etc. After a cursory
reading through the info manual on interactivity I find I'm still a bit lost.
Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong and hopefully point me to the right
manual page to read on this?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Moon