Re: How to execute Lisp code /after/ a capture template has been filled

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: How to execute Lisp code /after/ a capture template has been filled before it is finalized?
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:16:48 +0000

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> […]

> %(...) expansion is executed _before_ capture template is fully
>  calculated. It is generally not designed to side-effect functions.

> You can instead use template-local hooks, introduced in Org 9.6. See
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/tree/etc/ORG-NEWS#n1270

I'm using Emacs 28.3, so that is something for the future.
But your pointer made me read the source and adjust my men-
tal picture: I had always thought that capturing opened a
window showing a narrowed section of the buffer, invoked
org-capture-mode-hook, then inserted the template and went
on from there.

Instead (CMIIW), the template is evaluated in a temporary
buffer, the result is pasted in the capture buffer, and then
org-capture-mode-hook is invoked.  That means inter alia
that org-capture-mode-hook can work on the "completed" tem-
plate.

For my problem, I thus first (partly) replicated Org 9.6's
behaviour by adding:

| (lambda nil
|        (if
|            (version< org-version "9.6")
|            (let
|                ((hook
|                  (org-capture-get :hook)))
|              (if
|                  (functionp hook)
|                  (funcall hook)
|                (mapc #'funcall hook)))))

to org-capture-mode-hook.

Then I thought about using org-table-map-tables to call
org-table-recalculate on all tables in the capture buffer to
avoid having to figure out where my table was.  But
org-table-map-tables unfortunately widens the buffer before
iterating, so this was no option.

Therefore, to keep it simple, I amended my template by add-
ing "%?" to the cell where the sum is put in and setting the
:hook property to org-table-recalculate.  (I also added
";%.2f" to the formula for formatting.)  In the end, this
works very nicely.

Thanks!
Tim