[possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a ver

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a verse block in LaTeX export
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 23:46:43 +0000

Hi,

I recently discovered that if the last line of a LaTeX 'verse'
environment ends in '\\[0pt]', the space after the environment is
drastically altered. The space after a 'verse' environment (which is a
modified list environment) must be equivalent to
\partopsep+\topsep+\baselineskip. I have done the test with a document,
defining a rectangle of that height with tikz, where you can see the
difference in vertical space with and without '\\[0pt]':

https://i.imgur.com/khbboDZ.png

Naturally, this implies an issue when exporting the verse block to
LaTeX, since the presence of the '\\[0pt]' string alters the expected
result in the compiled PDF. My suggestion is that the last line of the
verse block is not exported with either the string '[0pt]' or the line
break mark '\\', since it makes no sense for that mark to be there: it
is the end of a paragraph and the very end of the environment.

Can anyone think of a possible scenario where removing the '\\[0pt]' in
the last line would cause a problem? If not, I might send a patch in the
next few days. (I'm afraid that going back to abusing
replace-regexp-in-string. I can't think of any other more elegant
solution...).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño
editorial y ortotipografía