Re: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_9.6.8-3-g21171d @ /home/w/usr/emacs/0/29/0/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:24:01 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Then, Org mode can instead have
>>
>> (setq-local kill-line-query-function #'org-kill-line-query)
>> (defun org-kill-line-query (beg end)
>>   (org-with-point-at beg
>>     (when (and (org-at-heading-p)
>>                (progn
>>                  (end-of-line)
>>                  (and (< (point) end)
>>                       (org-fold-folded-p))))
>>        "Kill hidden subtree along with headline? ")))
>
> I don't know what org-with-point-at and org-fold-folded-p do, but my
> point is that you should consider the case when kill-line kills
> invisible text that has nothing to do with Org's headings and trees,
> so I suggest to either make the detection code smarter (so it could
> distinguish between the two), or make the prompt text vaguer (to not
> claim that the text must be a subtree).
>
> And if that is still not clear or you disagree, let's leave it at
> that.

I think that I see what you mean. What we can do to achieve this is
changing `kill-line-query-function' into abnormal hook
`kill-line-query-functions'. Then, `kill-line'/`kill-whole-line' will
use (run-hook-with-args-until-success 'kill-line-query-functions) to
decide whether to show a query.

Does it make sense?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,