Re: #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[greek,german]{babel} ??

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[greek,german]{babel} ??
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:19:37 +0000

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

>>ox-latex tries hard to not duplicate babel. I am unable to reproduce
>>duplication with your file (but with #+latex_class: koma-article removed)
>
> Despite this, there is a repetition, and the clash is because ox-latex
> wants ngerman wiith
> #+language: de
> while Horst wants to use germanb. The clash is between what ox-latex
> generates and what Horst tries to add with #+LATEX_HEADER:
>
> Actually, he also needs greek and for that I have recommended to customise
> variables so that fontenc is "LGR,T1" and the parameters for babel are
> "greek,AUTO", instead of trying to add a #+LATEX_HEADER:
> \usepackage[LGR,T1]fontenc, because that also generates a package
> option clash.
>
> That is something we might need to explore more, if/when people need/want
> to use pdflatex instead of luatex or xelatex.

I doubt that we can easily catch option clashes like this.
People can customize things arbitrarily with #+latex_header, and we
cannot catch all the possible problems.

What we might improve is displaying compilation errors in a popup buffer
rather than almost-invisible message in the echo area.

>>> 2. There is an error in my Orgmode code because it exports {babel} once
>>> too many
>>
>>Does the problem persist without #+latex_class: koma-article?
> Once again, yes, because it is mainly a matter of #+language.
> I think we need the following
> 2) more thought on multilingual documents (#+language: gr,de)
> 3) more though on documents with multiple font encodings.

Agree.
For multiple languages, see the discussion in
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/878r9t7x7y.fsf@posteo.net/

> 1) more docs on #+language

If you have ideas how to improve the manual, feel free to share them.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,