Re: Developing Moodle resources/sites with Org Mode

From: Doolittle, Edward
Subject: Re: Developing Moodle resources/sites with Org Mode
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 01:25:43 +0000

"Fraga, Eric" e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk writes:

> This sounds very good!  I am particularly impressed with being able to

> use maxima to create questions that have a random element.  I wish I'd

> had what you have done back at the start of the pandemic when I had to

> create quizzes for my moduless.

Thanks!  I have been thinking about getting something like this going

for a while.  WebWork sort of does some of this, but I like Moodle/STACK

so much better.

When I came across Org Mode it was quite a revelation.  Like you, I wish

I had done something some time ago: I should have learned about Org Mode

years ago.  It is very close to being exactly what I want: a rich

environment for creating and previewing randomizable test questions that

can be used to automatically generate paper tests or STACK questions for

Moodle.

I've started a GitHub site: https://github.com/edoolittle/org-moodle

I've posted the final exam to the site.  Lots of work needs to be done

on it still: in particular the full solutions need to be added, and the

randomization needs to be implemented.  Currently versions are

varied/randomized manually by adjusting the Parameters section at the

beginning of each question.  Finally, I have just copy/pasted from one

version to another but that needs to be redesigned.  There should be

only one copy of the test in the master file, and versions could be

created by exporting Org to Org (so that the parameters chosen for the

version are stored in the secondary Org file).

> In answer to your actual question: no, I do not believe you are off the

> mark.  I no longer have a need for what you are doing but I'm sure

> others would benefit greatly if they have to interact with moodle and

> its xml formats etc.

Thank you for the assessment.  I moved very quickly into this space, but

I was fortunate to be able to have 3 full days free over the holidays to

get up to speed.  Lots of fumbling around but I have been pleased with

how it all turned out.

Going forward, I am most confused about whether to transform Org to XML

and then to Moodle XML, or whether to export from Org directly to Moodle

XML.  In the short term the first will be easier for me, I think.

Edward