Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a verse block in LaTeX export
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 13:22:48 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:
>
>>> \begin{itemize}
>>> \item {[}bax]
>>> \item {[}aur]
>>> \end{itemize}
>>
>> Great! Simple and effective. And more surgical than pandoc's global
>> solution. But now a question arises... Your code clearly solves the
>> problem that led to the declaration of org-latex-line-break-safe,
>> without foreseeing any unwanted effects, since it is the solution that
>> is usually recommended from LaTeX. So, if this code is included in Org,
>> what is the future of org-latex-line-break-safe?
>
> It is still useful in situations like
>
> Paragraph\\
>
> #+begin_export latex
> [foo]
> #+end_export
>
> or
>
> Paragraph\\
> @@latex:[foo]@@

But since in both cases it is literal LaTeX code, the correct thing
would be for the user to be in charge of adding the curly braces to the
square brackets. I mean in such scenario it is LaTeX code, not Org.

Anyway, in both examples it does not make sense for LaTeX to end a
paragraph with the \\ macro, which is why we commented in previous
messages in the thread. The \\ macro is only used in horizontal mode;
this macro does not add a new paragraph but rather a forced line break
within the paragraph.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel