Basic citations: problems with quotes in LaTeX export

From: William Denton
Subject: Basic citations: problems with quotes in LaTeX export
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 03:53:27 +0000

While trying out more about basic citations, with quotes to mark strings so I
can see where whitespace matters, I found that when exporting to LaTeX some
regular quote marks (") turn into fancy ones (“”) but others don't.

Let's say we have Basic.bib (now in testing/examples/, adjust path as needed)
and this Org file:

# ----------
#+bibliography: Basic.bib
#+cite_export: basic

[cite: "prefix one" @friends "suffix one"]

[cite: "global"; "prefix one" @friends "suffix one"; "prefix two" @friends
'suffix two'; "global"].
# ----------

Export that to LaTeX and you'll see this (also attached):

https://www.miskatonic.org/tmp/latex-quotes.png

The suffix quote marks don't turn fancy.  Same if you change the citation
processor to csl.

It's rare to have quotes in citations, but for complex ones with some
commentary I could certainly imagine them, for example where you want to refer
to a certain word or mention how an author translates it.  In any case there's
something unexpected going on here.

Bill

--
William Denton