Re: Org mode MIME type

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Org mode MIME type
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 23:11:17 +0800

Hi Max,

> However shouldn’t it be “text/x-org”, not just “text/org”? (I am against
> “application/*” variants since it is a text based format).

As per <https://orgmode.org/#more> the de-facto mime type for Org is `text/org'.

Why not `text/x-org'? Among other reasons, the `x-' prefix is depreciated as of
RFC
6648 (2012). Existing MIME type databases that use `text/x-org' should be
updated
to use `text/org'.

We are missing IETF MIME type registration, but I hope to get to that at some
point. In the mean time the realistic options are `text/org' and
`application/vnd.emacs.org' — and I think we’ll all agree that the former is
vastly preferable.

All the best,
Timothy

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.