Re: [BUG] Footnotes in section titles

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [BUG] Footnotes in section titles
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:23:03 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> I recall some tricks with \footnotemark and \footnotetext, but I do
> not remember details and whether it may work for section titles.
> Complications may arise if a heading title has several footnotes.

ox-latex has 'org-latex--delayed-footnotes-definitions': "[...] This
function is used within constructs that don't support \footnote{}
command (e.g., an item tag). In that case, \footnotemark is used within
the construct and the function just outside of it."

The \footnotetext/\footnotemark option works well for specific cases,
but in general I don't like to abuse this method.

> Perhaps it is better to avoid footnotes in titles and to add some
> phrase to the body instead.

That is the ideal scenario. I also believe that footnotes should be
avoided in section headings, if possible. Or at least, have another type
of numbering (symbols, letters...). The manyfoot and bigfoot packages
allow constructions of this type, with various footnote apparatus.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías --