Re: [BUG] Footnotes in section titles

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [BUG] Footnotes in section titles
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:41:12 +0000

Colin Baxter writes:

>     >> Perhaps it is better to avoid footnotes in titles and to add some
>     >> phrase to the body instead.
>
>     > That is the ideal scenario. I also believe that footnotes should
>     > be avoided in section headings, if possible. Or at least, have
>     > another type of numbering (symbols, letters...). The manyfoot and
>     > bigfoot packages allow constructions of this type, with various
>     > footnote apparatus.
>
> Indeed, but many journals *require* footnotes in titles, especially for
> affiliation, email, etc.

Notes on article titles (and even on the author name) are a slightly
different case from notes on section titles. In LaTeX there is the
"\thanks" command, which inserts footnotes for title and author,
numbered with fnsymbol. For example:

\title{Lorem ipsum dolor\thanks{blah blah}}

Org does not have support for this type of notes in the #+title or
#+author keywords. For LaTeX you can use a macro. For backends like odt
it is trickier. Look at this thread:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-humanities/2024-01/msg00000.html

I think it would be nice if Org had some kind of support for notes in
#+title and #+author...

Best regards,

Juan Manuel