Re: Suggested manual changes - section 7.2 Special Properties

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Suggested manual changes - section 7.2 Special Properties
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 15:44:24 +0000

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> It’s here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/s/3viPfF78Lr
>
> In a nutshell, I was trying to understand how to have one of the columns in
> column mode be the creation date of each headline. I thought that because I
> almost always insert a clock entry when I create (using org-capture) a new
> item then I already had the required timestamp — the first one in the clock
> entry. However, it turns out that timestamp isn’t usable, and so the thread
> was me looking for help in figuring out the best way to do it.

Column view is currently not flexible enough to retrieve data that is
not a known property from property drawer or from special properties.

In theory, we might modify `org-columns--collect-values' to allow
user-defined special properties.

This might be something similar to `org-columns-summary-types', but to
allow custom functions that retrieve property value.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,