Re: "Full Block" character in example block not visible in Beamer PDF

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: "Full Block" character in example block not visible in Beamer PDF
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 11:06:32 +0000

Loris Bennett writes:

> The blocks of the histogram are present in the PDF, but are white, like
> the background of the slides.  I can see this by marking them with the
> mouse.
>
> Does anyone know what I need to do to make the full block character
> visible in this situation?

Do you compile your document with pdfLaTeX?

It looks like you're using a Unicode character (FULL BLOCK / #2588 /
descomp: █ #2588) that pdfLaTeX doesn't recognize. You would have to use
LuaTeX or XeTeX as a TeX engine. And load the fontspec package to manage
the ttf or otf fonts. Additionally, you must define a mono font that
contains that character, for example Ubuntu Mono. An example:

#+TITLE: Some title
#+AUTHOR: author
#+Beamer_Header:\usepackage{fontspec}
#+Beamer_Header:\setsansfont{Linux Biolinum O}
#+Beamer_Header:\setmonofont{Ubuntu Mono}
#+LATEX_CLASS: beamer
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+BEAMER_THEME: Boadilla
#+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %10BEAMER_ENV(Env) %10BEAMER_ACT(Act) %4BEAMER_COL(Col)

Screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/ulYxJgr.png

Bonus: To check which fonts on your system contain a certain character,
you can use the TeX live tool Albatross. E.g.:

albatross █ --border-style 0 --detailed --show-styles --include-tex-fonts

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño
editorial y ortotipografía