Re: [DISCUSSION, default settings] Using mailcap as default handler for

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION, default settings] Using mailcap as default handler for opening file links
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:59:28 +0700

On 12/02/2024 19:36, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

I believe, there are enough issues with mailcap implementation in Emacs,
but do we have some alternative?
[...]

I have been digging more on this issue recently, and I have found that
Carsten once attempted to tweak this default to use xdg-mime:

Have you faced another issue with mailcap? Frankly speaking, I am unsure what particular issues we are going to address (file type, Emacs and Org versions, OS).

Did you intentionally mentioned "xdg-mime"? While xdg-open tries to find suitable .desktop file to open a file, xdg-mime is more close to the file(1) tool, but it consults signatures from shared-mime-info and site&user config files. In addition, unlike file(1), it uses file extensions to guess media type.

An advantage of mailcap.el is that it should allow users have Emacs-specific Emacs-wide configuration for viewers. In principle it should be more reliable when invoking emacs through xdg-open when Emacs is configured as a handler for some media types.

Is it necessary to modify Org? Maybe an alternative is to add "xdg-open %s" for */* to `mailcap-user-mime-data'.

I believe that xdg-open issue has been fixed by you in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=5db61eb0f
org.el: Avoid xdg-open silent failure

I am still not really comfortable due to the strategy to start external processes diverged from methods used in browse-url.el.

I have not had a look into xdg.el yet.