Best way to extract info from C files?

From: Stefano Ghirlanda
Subject: Best way to extract info from C files?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 07:58:49 -0800

Hi all!

I'm trying to build a simple code documentation tool for org-mode, so
I'm looking for ways to get information from C files (to begin with,
ideally it will be easy to add other languages). Things like function
prototypes, struct definitions, etc. What would be the best tool for
this? My search has come up with things like lsp-mode, semantic, etags
but I have no experience with any of these. What would be easiest to
work with / setup, and have the necessary functionality? Or should I
just write my own parsing code?

More specifically, my initial goal is to be able to parse things in a
format similar naturaldocs.org, for example:

// Function: This is a brief description.
// Parameters:
// - x: The first parameter
// - y: The second parameter
// Return: A value
int my_function( int x, int y );

and transform this into something like:

* Documentation

** my_function

This is a brief description

| Parameters: |                                      |
| x                   | The first parameter       |
| y                   | The second parameter |
| Return          | A value                         |

To be improved iteratively :)

Thanks!

--
Stefano Ghirlanda