Re: [proof of concept] inline language blocks

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [proof of concept] inline language blocks
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:29:34 +0700

On 22/02/2024 06:02, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
Samuel Wales writes:
:fr{some text in French}

being expressed as

$[lang :fr "bonjour"]

To expand a little more... Another problem I see in your example is
nesting. In my proposal, the blocks can be nested:

:fr{text in French and :it{text in Italian}}

But I would find this difficult to read:

$[lang :fr "text in French and $[lang :it "text in italian"]"]

Juan Manuel your ":fr{}" and similar objects is a domain-specific language that is quite different from a generic element proposed by Samuel. Do you think it makes sense to modify your inline special block patch to allow creation of concise DSL?

Juan Manuel Macías. [testing patch] inline-special-block with full implementation for LaTeX backend. Fri, 23 Feb 2024 23:50:52 +0000. 87ttlyloyr.fsf@posteo.net">https://list.orgmode.org/87ttlyloyr.fsf@posteo.net

I mean &fr{bonjour} defined using "#+options:" or some new keyword or a special block. A definition of "fr" may be (using a bit different names)

:latex_element "foreignlanguage" :latex_prefix "french"
:html_element "span" :html_attr (:lang "fr")

&fr{} is no heavier than :fr{}. The only drawback is necessity to define elements for each language used in the document. I do not think, even a dozen of declarations is a significant burden.