Re: [BUG] "\fC" macro in ox-man.el [9.6.15 (release_9.6.15 @ /usr/share/

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] "\fC" macro in ox-man.el [9.6.15 (release_9.6.15 @ /usr/share/emacs/29.2/lisp/org/)]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:25:23 +0000

Xiyue Deng <manphiz@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not very familiar with roff so my understanding may be off.
> According to the `Safe subset' section in man(7), they mentioned the
> following:
>
> ,----
> | Font changes (ft and the \f escape sequence) should only have the
> | values 1, 2, 3, 4, R, I, B, P, or CW (the ft command may also have no
> | parameters).
> `----
>
> Does it mean `\fC' should be replaced by `\f[CW]'?

I am not sure

man 7 groff has

      Fonts often have trademarked names, and even Free Software fonts
      can require renaming upon modification. groff maintains a
      convention that a de‐ vice’s serif font family is given the name
      T (“Times”), its sans-serif family H (“Helvetica”), and its
      monospaced family C (“Courier”). Histori‐ cal inertia has driven
      groff’s font identifiers to short uppercase abbreviations of font
      names, as with TR, TB, TI, TBI, and a special font S.

So, \fC refers to "Courier".

I did not find any text description of CW font, but my groff
installation has usr/share/groff/1.23.0/font/devdvi/CW font spec:

    name CW
    special

for comparison, /usr/share/groff/1.23.0/font/devps/CR has

    name CR
    internalname Courier

which looks more suitable. But CR is not listed in "safe" subset
(man 7 man)

Also, neither CW nor CR work with html output:

with \fC

    .TH "" "1"
    .PP
    \fBThis is test\fP
    \fCcode a+b\fP here a+b.

yields (groff -Thtml test.man)

Note <tt> tag.

but with \f[CW]

    .TH "" "1"
    .PP
    \fBThis is test\fP
    \f[CW]code a+b\fP here a+b.

No special markup is applied to the code.

Same for \f[CR].

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,