Re: [FR] 'org-columns-next-allowed-value' for 'summary-checkbox'es funct

From: Sławomir Grochowski
Subject: Re: [FR] 'org-columns-next-allowed-value' for 'summary-checkbox'es functions should have 'intermediate state' '[-]'
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:29:25 +0100

> I think that we can do the following:
>
> (1) modify org-columns-next-allowed-value (S-<right>/<left>) to use the
>     three states.
>
> (2) modify org-columns-toggle-or-columns-quit and org-columns--toggle to
>     follow what C-c C-c does:
>
>     (5.6 Checkboxes section of the manual)
>
>     ‘C-c C-c’ (‘org-toggle-checkbox’)
>      Toggle checkbox status or--with prefix argument--checkbox presence
>      at point.  With a single prefix argument, add an empty checkbox or
>      remove the current one(3).  With a double prefix argument, set it
>      to ‘[-]’, which is considered to be an intermediate state.

Thank you for advice.
I'm surprised I didn't think of it myself.
It's a good idea to ensure consistency between 'org-checkbox' and
'org-columns-checkbox'.

>      Except that we should not allow removing checkboxes and instead
>      force empty checkbox with single prefix argument.

And why do you want to avoid this?
When using 'org-column' I sometimes remove an empty checkbox.
So I see use in it, and most importantly, it would provide same
compatible interface for 'org-checkbox' and 'org-columns-checkbox'

In my previously message I didn't reply to all.
So now I'm fixing it CCing emacs-orgmode@gnu.org now.

Regards,
--
Slawomir Grochowski