Re: Feature request: exclude sub-trees by backend

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Feature request: exclude sub-trees by backend
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 08:08:26 +0000

Edgar Lux <edgarlux@mailfence.com> writes:

> Hi, I had a need for this again (sorry for the necro-bump).

One month is perfectly normal reply time by mailing list standards :)
We just start questioning whether the discussion is active after one month.

> On Feb 26, 2024 at 5:51 PM, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>> The suggestions to use backend-specific export tag in the links are used
>> as ugly workarounds...
>
> Ok. It was just to show that there are other people who may use it :) .

Note that we are currently discussing somewhat similar idea, but for all
the Org markup elements, not just headings:
877chvvq1b.fsf_-_@posteo.net/T/#madc064d96ae66467adc2ea9adb53c6c0edc7aaf7">https://list.orgmode.org/877chvvq1b.fsf_-_@posteo.net/T/#madc064d96ae66467adc2ea9adb53c6c0edc7aaf7

>> As for ignore-heading, ...
>> ... the author of Org export system
>> repeatedly opposed it. This is why:
>> https://list.orgmode.org/87mwdfzmox.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr/
>
> Ok. Sorry. I should have assumed (or looked for) that there was a reason :) .

To be fair, it would be nice to include :ignore: tag as a part of the
Org. However, we need to somehow make sure that nothing unexpected
happens when users use :ignore: in a context where it does not make
sense:

* Heading
** Sub-heading
Text.
* Ignored :ignore:
Merging this text with previous sub-heading is unexpected.

If you have ideas how to address such scenarios, feel free to share
them.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,