Re: Better support admonitions blocks

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: Better support admonitions blocks
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 16:35:22 -0500

Hi Ihor, JD, et al,

On 4/4/24 12:04, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
JD Smith <jdtsmith@gmail.com> writes:

Pandoc recently added read/write support
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/9475> for "admonitions",
which are a GFM construct
<https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/16925> already
supported by other org-exporters, and on GH in markdown.  This
refcard
<https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-mode?tab=readme-ov-file#base-admonitions>
references an org #{begin,end}_{note,warning,tip,caution,important}
syntax which pandoc now follows (though it does not support the
extra admonitions like danger/error/etc.).

It would be nice to add org support for these 5 admonition blocks
to the C-c C-, org block structure templates, and perhaps allow
block face styling for these as well (ala org-src-block-faces).

CCing Adam. We recently discussed "highlight" blocks in the context
of WORG publishing.

Thanks.

I do not see much problem adding such blocks, although I am not sure
if we want them by default.

I would tend to agree that they probably shouldn't be part of Org's
default configuration (at least, not yet--if they were to become very
widespread in usage, then maybe we could reconsider).

What we may do is to implement something akin link's :export and :active-func parameters to allow custom fontification and export. (... and add a new :structure-template parameter to auto-add them to structure templates)

Then, we can add optional support for all the proposed blocks that
will define how to insert, export, and fontify them.

That would seem good to me.

As far as Worg goes, I'd be in favor of having them available on Worg by default; they should be useful for writing documentation.

Thanks,
Adam