Re: [BUG] LaTeX preview should use a subdirectory in /tmp

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] LaTeX preview should use a subdirectory in /tmp
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:18:44 +0000

Emmanuel Charpentier <emm.charpentier@free.fr> writes:

>> Assuming that your `org-preview-latex-default-process' is using the
>> default value of 'dvipng, does it help if you change the image
>> convertor
>> command to use absolute path?
>
> I didn't know that one could do that : the placeholders are not well
> documented...

Yeah. This particular option is missing from the docstring of
`org-preview-latex-process-alist'.

>> (plist-put (alist-get 'dvipng org-preview-latex-process-alist)
>>         :image-converter
>>            '("dvipng -D %D -T tight -o %O %F"))
>
> Nope, same problem : the *Org Preview LaTeX Output* buffer says :
>
> ../../../../../tmp/orgtexSyy18r.dvi: No such file or directory
> This is dvipng 1.15 Copyright 2002-2015 Jan-Ake Larsson
>
> If I understand it correctly, the %F placeholder should be an
> *absolute* filename. It is not...
>
> Couldn't the output directory of the :latex-compiler element being
> hardcoded to, say, the curerent directory or a subdirectory thereof,
> and ditto for the input directory of :image-converter ?

What if you do M-x trace-function <RET> org-compile-file-commands <RET>
and run the preview.
Then, a buffer should appear listing the command expansions used during
the preview process. May you then share that buffer?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,