Re: [DISCUSSION] The meaning of :cmdline header argument across babel ba

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] The meaning of :cmdline header argument across babel backends
Date: Wed, 01 May 2024 18:01:40 +0000

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:

> I disagree with one aspect: we shouldn't use Worg as a source of
> truth. The argument holds based on historical behavior of :cmdline.
> AFAIU, Worg is a wiki which is open, more or less, to anyone. Worg
> contents, AFAIU, have not always undergone review. The manual should
> be the final authority. Fortunately, there's nothing in the manual
> about :cmdline.

For babel backends specifically, WORG is _the_ documentation for the
built-in backends. It is what we will eventually move to the official
manual and it is what we point users to from the manual for now.

The main reasons why relevant WORG pages are not yet in the manual are
(1) not all the backends yet fully support the common parameters we
introduce in the manual (see
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/lang-compat.html);
(2) nobody got around to actually move things to the manual.

>  ---- On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:33:38 +0200  Ihor Radchenko  wrote ---
>
>  > I like :script-args.
>  > The counterpart should then be :interpreter-args?
>
> Are we thinking of implementing these for other languages, beyond
> ob-shell?

Yes. The title of this thread has "across babel backends" :)

> If we're looking at these as general headers, then I don't think "arg"
> is the correct term here since a switch may not take a value. For
> example, the "-r" option for Bash (IIUC).

> Quick name ideas that aren't good yet may inspire better ones by
> inspiring disgust--:switches, :flags, :options, (using an "i" prefix
> for "interpreter") :iswitches, :iflags, :ioptions

Emm... but "command line arguments". No?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,