Re: filling more narrowly --- or unfilling -- for export to email, upon

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: filling more narrowly --- or unfilling -- for export to email, upon ascii export
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 09:59:24 +0000

Hi Samuel,

On Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 00:53, Samuel Wales wrote:
> unfilled paragraphs seems to be the norm in email these days for
> nontechnical folk.  but org has plain lists and things, which need
> org-style unfilling.

Given the profusion of potential devices for reading email and their
differing sizes, I have found that unfilled paragraphs are best in
general although I do fill for posts to mailing lists like this one and
newsgroups as that is the convention (arguably).

However, if there is formatting that you wish to preserve (lists,
equations [which often is the case for my emails to my research group,
say]), the only real option (as much as I dislike it) is to use HTML.  I
write my email using org syntax and then invoke

  M-x org-mime-htmlize RET

just before sending.

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.6.23-1320-g1be2f9 in Emacs 30.0.50