Re: [BUG] setting org-element-use-cache to nil doesn't seem to disable e

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] setting org-element-use-cache to nil doesn't seem to disable element cache [9.7.3 (release_9.7.3 @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 09:12:45 +0000

Platon Pronko <platon7pronko@gmail.com> writes:

> However, regarding the original problem about cache seemingly being
> active - I do often notice that there are other issues with text
> highlighting (dates/todo markers/etc) and indentation breaking
> seemingly without reason. I will keep looking for these issues, but
> making a reliable reproducer for them is hard.

To be 100% clear, cache might get activated for short periods even when
you set org-element-use-cache to nil. But that happens only for the
duration of a single (expensive) command and the cache is discarded
immediately after. It may theoretically cause problems when you perform
some kinds of commands that edit multiple headings/other objects in
region: org-encrypt-entries, org-decrypt-entries, setting tags in
region, setting deadlines/scheduled in region, and archiving.

Text highlighting in particular should not be affected, AFAIK.

If there are problems with fontification, you may try setting
`backtrace-on-redisplay-error'. If there are any problems during
fontification, the last one will be recorded in *Redisplay-trace* buffer
(the buffer itself is not auto-displayed, you need to switch to it
manually).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,