Re: multipage html output

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: multipage html output
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 21:37:48 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 09. Juli 2024 um 18:08:10 Uhr (+0000) schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> Orm Finnendahl <orm.finnendahl@selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de> writes:
> > If toplevel functions like org-export-to-file use org-export-as, than
> > org-export-as should only be concerned with generating the string but
> > not with reparsing.
>
> Sorry, but I do not understand your concern.

If org-export-as returns just one string, then it will reparse the
parse tree each time it needs to generate an output string. But as you
say below, you rather think org-export-as returns a list of strings
for the multipage case.

> > Alternatively we can do the conversion to a string in the central
> > function as now with org-export-as, but there still needs to be a
> > mechanism to generate the different files for multipage output and
> > call the export backend on them to save them or whatever. Or what did
> > you have in mind?
>
> What I have in mind is that `org-export-as' will return a list of
> strings + INFO. INFO will contain data about which files to use for
> saving the strings. Then, the caller does the saving and whatever is
> necessary. If we write to files from `org-export-as' it will be a
> massive breaking change in the expected behavior.

ok, that's what you mean. I can do this, but don't you think it'd be
more consistent with the general layout of ox, if org-export-as uses a
callback function to call on each generated string with the filename
as argument nad we agree on names for multipage file output which have
to get implemented by multipage backends?

Whatever, both ways will do what's needed, just let me know what you
prefer and I will provide a suggestion, ok? I try to find time on the
weekend, otherwise I'll have time after the end of next week.

--
Orm