espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] Compiling ESPResSo

From: Mingyang Hu
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] Compiling ESPResSo
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:45:49 -0500

Dear all,

I was trying the new build system of ESPResSo on our cluster. Two errors occurred.

Firstly, I run bootstrap.sh in order to get the configure script. But I receive the following error message:

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal -Iconfig
aclocal: unrecognized option -- `-Iconfig'
Try `aclocal --help' for more information.
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

Our cluster has an older version of aclocal (1.9.6). When I tried with my desktop, which has aclocal of version 1.10.1, everything works fine. I think it has to do with this line in Makefile.am:
ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -Iconfig

After I added an extra space between I and config, I got the configure script with our cluster. So I'm assuming this is kind of parsing problem with older version of aclocal.

Secondly, after configuring ESPResSo, following error appeared during "make":

for file in init.tcl ABHmath.tcl auxiliary.tcl blockfile_support.tcl bundle.tcl countBonds.tcl pdb.tcl polymer.tcl statistics.tcl vtf.tcl tclline.tcl parallel_tempering.tcl; do \
  if test ! -e $file || test ! $file -ef /$file; then \
    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 /$file ; \
  fi; \
done
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/init.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/ABHmath.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/auxiliary.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/blockfile_support.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/bundle.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/countBonds.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/pdb.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/polymer.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/statistics.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/vtf.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/tclline.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/parallel_tempering.tcl'
Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/mingyang/tmp/espresso-hogwartz/scripts'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Despite of this error, there is Espresso executable in the directory. After ESPRESSO_SCRIPTS variable has been manually defined, Espresso executable CAN be started. I wonder if this is supposed to happen.

Best,

Mingyang

----
Mingyang Hu