espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Developer's documentation format

From: Christoph Junghans
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Developer's documentation format
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:23:26 +0100

Am 03/14/2011 11:45 AM, schrieb Olaf Lenz:
Hi everybody!

Besides the pure source code docs of ESPResSo, there are a number of
other documentation pieces for ESPResSo that partly exist and partly
should be written:
   * How to use git for ESPResSo development
   * Coding conventions for ES
   * How to add files to ES
   * Using and modifying the build system
   * Programmer's Guide ("Under the hood")

However, at the moment I am not sure in what format and where to put
this kind of documentation. So far, this kind of stuff was supposed to
go into the "Developer's Guide" which was written in the Doxygen format
and bundled with the source code documentation. However, I have the
feeling that it was very hard to access the Developer's Guide and also
to modify it, as Doxygen has a very strange format for additional
information.

I can think of a number of options, but I do not know which one to use:

* Using doxygen (as it was so far)
   * Pro: code documentation and developer's docs together
   * Con: nasty doxygen format
   * Con: confusing doxygen docs
   * Con: hard to edit
   * Con: not always up-to-date
For API documentation there is basically no way around doxygen, but we need a mini-guide for that.

* In the ESPResSo-wiki on http://espressomd.org
   * Pro: easy to edit
   * Pro: always up-to-date
   * Con: only available when online
   * Con: yet another account, yet another format
I tend to disagree here, the old espresso wiki was always out of sync and outdated. Also the workflow, change something in the code, go to wiki and change it there again is quite inconvenient.

* In an extra LaTeX-PDF-document, or as part of the UG
   * Pro: comes with source code
   * Pro: same format as UG
   * Con: hard to edit
   * Con: not always up-to-date

* Using GNU Savannah's documentation features ("Cookbook")
   * https://savannah.nongnu.org/cookbook/?group=espressomd
   * Pro: location where it would belong to "naturally"
   * Con: yet another format format
   * Con: confusing page

Does anyone of you have suggestions which one of these options to
choose? Or does anyone have another idea?

I believe that I would prefer either the wiki or the LaTeX document, but
I'm open for other ideas.
For votca we are using txt2tags (t2t) for some parts of the documentation. The big advantage is that once you have written something in t2t, you can convert it to html, mediawiki or latex. That makes it easy to keep documentation in different places/formats in sync. txt2tags is just one python script, no other dependencies.
However, yet another format ;-)

Cheers,

Christoph

Olaf

--
Dr. Christoph Junghans
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research

Phone: +49 6131 379 335
Web: http://www.mpip-mainz.mpg.de/~junghans