espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] [bug #37281] cannot read blockfile with mpirun

From: Martin Linden
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] [bug #37281] cannot read blockfile with mpirun
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 09:18:35 +0000

             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 3.1.0
           Fixed Release: None

Details:

I have trouble reading in blockfiles when using mpi.
I would say this is a pretty serious problem, because it means that I can only
restart crashed simulations on a single processor.

The attached script and gzip archive demonstrates the problem. Without MPI,
Espresso reads the block file and starts integrating:

$ Espresso blockread.tcl

With mpi, the fine is somehow not opened, or not recognized:

$ mpirun -n 4 Espresso blockread.tcl

(...)

can not find channel named "file14"
    while executing
"blockfile $in read auto"
    invoked from within
"while { [blockfile $in read auto] != "eof" } {}"
    (file "blockread.tcl" line 6)
mpirun noticed that the job aborted, but has no info as to the process
that caused that situation.

The block file in question was in fact created using mpi, so writing blocks
seems to work.

System and version:
ubuntu 12-04 64 bit, espresso 3.1.0, code_info: { Compilation status { FFTW }
{ BOND_ANGLE_HARMONIC } { LENNARD_JONES } { LJCOS } { LJCOS2 } { EXCLUSIONS }
}

Best,

Martin Lindén, Stockholm University

File Attachments: