espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] Python 2/3 plans

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] Python 2/3 plans
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 10:04:28 +0200

Hi all,

Are there plans for the future of Python 2/3 support?

I guess everyone on the "dev" list is aware of the upcoming stop of official
support for Python 2. For scientific computing, there will probably plenty of
users who remain using Python 2 for some time, but every project should have
some information for its users.

1. Keep the code Python 2 compatible "as long as reasonably feasible".
2. State visibly the last "Python 2 compatible release", after which Python 2
compatibility will be explicitly removed (the "from __future__" for instance).

For info, matplotlib >= 3.0 does not support Python 2 anymore (see their
homepage https://matplotlib.org/ ). I couldn't find a comprehensive list of the
support for scientific packages though.

Cheers,

Pierre

PS: if I forgot or overlooked some earlier mailing-list thread or GitHub issue,
sorry. I did a quick search and was unsuccessful.