Re: [ESPResSo] Units query for tabulated potential - clarification and a

From: Owen Hickey
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] Units query for tabulated potential - clarification and assistance requested
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 17:00:05 +0200

Hey,

You don't have to alter Espresso source code to use reasonable SI values in your simulation.  If you want distances to be in nanometers and energies to be in kilojoules (just divide the energy by Avagadro's number to go from kJ/mol to kJ) just enter them as numbers.  As long as all the distances and energies you input are in those units you shouldn't have a problem.  Same with the mass.  As for the temperature when you specify it using one of the thermostats it is important to realize the value you feed into the thermostat is kT and not simply temperature.  So you could make some tcl code
set T 300
set kT [expr $T*1.3806503e-23]
thermostat langevin $kT 1.0
should give you a temperature in Kelvin using the Langevin thermostat.

I assume you also want your time in seconds.  In order to figure out how long a time step is simply convert it from the other units:
kJ=1.661e-27kg*nm^2/t^2
t=sqrt(1.661e-27kg*nm^2/1e3J)
t=sqrt(1.661e-27*1e-18/1e3)s
t=1.289e-24s
Which is to say 1 time unit in your MD simulation would be 1.289e-24 seconds...  I think I may have made a mistake somewhere (perhaps inputting energies in kJ/mol makes more sense as you would probably get a more reasonable time step)...  Anyways I hope that at least helps.  Best of luck.

Owen