[ESPResSo-users] 24 Espresso threads consume 32GB memory in 1 hour.

From: Chunda Zhou
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] 24 Espresso threads consume 32GB memory in 1 hour.
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:31:36 -0400

Hi guys,

I am simulating a two-monomer polyelectrolyte in salt solution environment. I
use Lattice-Boltzman hydrodynamics.

When I turn on the vtf file output, I put it this way:

set vtf [open "vtf.vtf" "w"]
set i 0
while { $i<$n_cycle} {

    puts "   $i/$n_cycle"
 puts "analyze energy kinetic"
   puts [analyze energy kinetic]

    puts "analyze energy total"
     puts [analyze energy total]

    integrate $n_steps

    analyze set chains 0 1 $l_poly
#    set rg [lindex [analyze rg] 0]

    writevsf $vtf radius {0 2.0 1 auto 2 1.0}

    # if you have turned on the vmd option you can now
    # follow what your simulation is doing
    if { $vmd == "yes" } { imd positions }
# change the position once in a cycle.
    incr i
}

close $vtf

If I delate the vtf output lines, the whole program will consume 32GB memory in
10 hours. When i check using top command, it shows that the mpirun thread
consumes 97% of the whole memory.

Did I do anything wrong?

What's the most elegant way to save the current status automatically so that I
can easily resume it when the computer crashes?

Best,
Chunda