[ESPResSo-users] CUDA error

From: Farnoosh Farahpoor
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] CUDA error
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:34:38 +0330

Dear Espresso developers

I am trying to compile and run ESPResSo with CUDA on an NVIDIA gpu. Now I have two questions.
1- Configuration and installation processes are successful and in the last stage of the configuration I get this information:

Using NVIDA CUDA compiler nvcc = /usr/local/cuda/bin/nvcc, flags =  -I/usr/local/cuda/include --ptxas-options=-v -gencode arch=compute_11,code=compute_11 -gencode arch=compute_20,code=compute_20.

but when I try to run my code (./Espresso mycode.tcl) I get an error message when it reaches to the line "lbfluid gpu" which tells me:

Could not allocate gpu memory at lbgpu.cu:1507.
CUDA error: no CUDA-capable device is detected

Do you know what is the reason and how should I fix it?

2- "myconfig.h" file is like this:

/* global features */
#define PARTIAL_PERIODIC
#define ELECTROSTATICS
#define EXTERNAL_FORCES
#define CONSTRAINTS

/* potentials */
#define LENNARD_JONES

/* LBM */
#define LB_GPU
#define LB_BOUNDARIES_GPU

But when I try to get ESPResSo's code_info I get these lines:

code_info
ESPResSo: 3.0.2
{ Compilation status { FFTW } { CUDA } { PARTIAL_PERIODIC } { ELECTROSTATICS } { EXTERNAL_FORCES } { CONSTRAINTS } { LENNARD_JONES } { LB_GPU } }
{ Debug status { } }

it seems that there is no LB_BOUNDARIES compiled in and so when I run my code I get this error:

LB_BOUNDARIES not compiled in!
    while executing
"lbboundary pore center $x_pore $y_pore $z_pore axis $x_axis $y_axis $z_axis radius $rad length [expr $leng/2] type 2"

When I add "#define LB_BOUNDARIES" to "myconfig.h" file I get rid of this error. May this issue yield to some bad results in my simulation?

Best regards
Farnoush